InsideHook is the leading digital lifestyle platform for accomplished and adventurous men. From style to travel to dining, vehicles to watches to fitness, our editors are passionate about bringing our audience the latest and greatest. It’s a job we take seriously, and one we’ve been at for almost a decade.
InsideHook is an innovator in branded entertainment, providing native solutions, custom content and video, event activation and other innovative programs for premium and luxury brands.
Updated: July 12, 2022.
ART DIRECTOR (New York, NY)
InsideHook is looking for an Art Director to join our growing team. This is a full-time, salaried position with generous benefits.
What We Do and Who We Are:
InsideHook is an essential lifestyle guide for sophisticated metropolitan men: guys 25 – 35 who have limited time, great taste and a thirst for experiences. InsideHook readers are decision makers and trendsetters who drive the aspirations of the demographic; they are influencers in the original sense of the word. We are the definitive authority on everything these men need to know about style, travel, food and drink, health and wellness, autos, tech, culture and gear.
InsideHook has 10 email editions: our flagship daily email; seven twice-weekly — local editions in New York, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, DC, Texas and Miami; The Goods, our daily newsletter on the world of products, deals and e-commerce; and The Journey, our Sunday travel newsletter.
InsideHook’s sister company, InsideHook Studios, partners with celebrity talent to create media companies and entrepreneurial projects stemming from media. Neil Patrick Harris’ Wondercade, which launched in Fall 2021, is our first such project.
The Art Director will work closely with the Editorial, Audience and Branded Content teams to establish and maintain InsideHook’s visual identity across all channels and touchpoints, including but not limited to: email newsletters, websites, branded content campaigns, social media, B2B and B2C marketing materials, and events and activations. They will also be responsible for day-to-day graphic design and photo editing of our primary content platforms.
The ideal candidate will be a creative, talented, accomplished designer, with a portfolio of projects as strong as their track record of success. They will be deeply collaborative, working cross-functionally with all of InsideHook’s business units, and their clients and partners. The ability to thrive under tight deadlines, and interpret feedback from internal and external partners is essential. The Art Director will be expected to juggle multiple assignments and deadlines, so impeccable time-management skills are a must.
- Manage the design process of all editorial and branded features from ideation to execution, creating attractive, impactful layouts and visual features to complement our content, in partnership with our Director of Branded Content and Editor in Chief
- Edit photography for our website and emails on a daily basis. Create illustrations on a regular basis. Oversee and commission original photography on an ad-hoc basis.
- Design compelling materials for our sales, marketing and branded content teams to take out into the marketplace, including but not limited to brand decks, one-sheets and project mocks
- Conceive and deliver UX wireframes for new projects such as websites, website redesigns, email templates, etc., partnering with key stakeholders including the Creative Director, Director of Branded Content, Editor in Chief, Lead Engineer and CEO
- Establish and maintain a visual style guide, partnering with the branded content, content, sales and audience teams
- Design all printed/physical collateral for all InsideHook events (signage, merch, etc.)
- Attend both studio and remote shoots (photo or video), assisting the Creative Director in realizing a considered and cohesive visual identity
- Work with the audience/social media team on the production of high-touch imagery and graphics both templates and one-offs — for all platforms
- Manage a design project calendar with respect to all deadlines
- Provide constructive feedback throughout the editorial process
- 4+ years of experience working in a fast-paced editorial, publishing or advertising environment
- A proven track record of creating compelling visuals across various mediums and formats: web, email, print, social, infographics, illustrations, photography, etc.
- Expert command of the entire Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Lightroom)
- A passion for typography, brand identity and design theory, and the ability to translate that passion into a cohesive and consistent product
- Working knowledge of — or at least some experience with — HTML and Content Management Systems (WordPress or similar)
- Bonus points for experience with one or more of the following disciplines: illustration, photography, videography and UX design
- Interest in men’s lifestyle topics, and knowledge of visual trends throughout the landscape
- Ability to incorporate feedback from clients and creative team, as well as the conviction and tact to defend creative choices you feel strongly about
- Ability to stay organized, meet deadlines, balance priorities and work well under pressure
- Strong leadership skills and the proven ability to play nice with others; adaptability and collaboration are hallmarks of our editorial process
- Intense and unrelenting attention to detail
- Applicants should live in or around New York City. Our office is on a hybrid WFH/work-in-office schedule.
Please send your (good-looking) CV, cover letter and portfolio — with 3-5 relevant design samples highlighted — to Besjana Hasani. No staffing agencies or consulting firms, please. InsideHook is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
LIFESTYLE WRITER/EDITOR (New York, NY)
InsideHook is looking for a Lifestyle Writer/Editor to join our rapidly growing team. The ideal candidate is an experienced writer and editor with a proven track record of crafting, assigning and editing lifestyle content across a variety of categories (travel, dining, drinking, entertainment, style, health and fitness, etc.). This is a full-time position with a competitive compensation package — including bonuses for achieving metric-based goals — and excellent health benefits and perks, such as unlimited paid time off.
InsideHook is an essential lifestyle guide for adventurous and discerning men: guys 30-50 who have limited time, great taste and a thirst for experiences. Our readers are decision makers and trendsetters who drive the aspirations of the demographic; they are influencers in the original sense of the word. InsideHook is the definitive authority on everything these men need to know about style, travel, food and drink, health, autos, tech, culture, gear and outdoor adventures.
We have ten email editions: our flagship daily email; seven local editions in New York, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, DC, Texas and Miami; The Goods, our daily newsletter on the world of products, deals and e-commerce; and the Journey, our Sunday travel newsletter. InsideHook’s sister company, InsideHook Studios, partners with celebrity talent to create media companies and entrepreneurial projects stemming from media. Neil Patrick Harris’ Wondercade, which launched in Fall 2021, is our first such project.
The Lifestyle Writer/Editor, working in partnership with InsideHook’s Editor-in-Chief, will own the content creation for one of our newsletter properties. Additional properties are likely to follow. They will maintain a robust editorial calendar and a steady flow of ideas, and will execute upon them. Some articles they will write; others they will assign to their colleagues at InsideHook; still others will be assigned to freelance writers. They will shepherd the content all the way through the editorial process to publication. The role is cross-functional, working collaboratively with our audience and design departments, and occasionally our marketing and sales teams.
- Work with the Editor-in-Chief to maintain a short- and long-term editorial calendar that
addresses the property’s broad content purview
- Write and/or assign articles. These will range from short briefs of ~250 words to features of ~1,000 words
- Ensure that all content adheres to our house style guide, and is clean (we adhere to Chicago style)
- Partner with our Audience team on the crafting of social media posts, stories, etc in support of the aforementioned content. Develop social-native experiences such as live chats, user-generated content and other engaging formats
- Collaborate with the Design team to craft experiences that look as good as they read
- Produce and publish articles within our CMS platform, including occasional cutting and uploading of imagery
- Partner with Design, Audience and Tech teams to launch a new, robust website in the coming months
- Devise new editorial conceits, special series — iterate, innovate and grow the project across all channels (email, web, social)
- Use our analytics platforms (Parse.ly, Google Analytics, etc) to evaluate performance metrics, and take informed, actionable steps to achieve key goals
- Applicants must have 5+ years experience writing, assigning and editing lifestyle content — travel, dining, drinking, entertainment, style, health and fitness, etc — preferably for a digital or print publication
- A pool of freelance contributors with expertise in specific topics (wine or travel, for
example), and the ability to identify and recruit additional freelancers as needed
- The ability to manage an editorial calendar in both the short- and long-term
- Experience with common CMS tools (WordPress or similar), ESPs (SailThru, MailChimp) as well as Google Suite and Photoshop
- A deep knowledge of SEO best practices and social media
- Enthusiasm, reliability and a team-oriented attitude
- A sense of humor, both in copy and in life
- An entrepreneurial bent — this is a job for folks who want to make new things, speak to
new audiences and innovate via both content and product
- Quick learner and self-starter comfortable with tight deadlines. Ability to stay organized,
balance priorities and work well under pressure.
- Applicant should live in or around New York City — this is a hybrid WFH/in-office role
To Apply: Send a resume, writing samples/portfolio and a brief cover letter to email@example.com. Please don’t send form letters — we want to know why you want to work here specifically, and how you’re uniquely qualified to do so.
Updated: July 12, 2022. We currently have no other open positions. Still, we love hearing from brilliant, talented and eager folks interested in our mission. Feel free to reach out with a note and resume at firstname.lastname@example.org.